Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The mission of the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management is to develop interdisciplinary solutions to environmental problems, train environmental leaders and work for a sustainable future. A team of faculty at the Bren School with interdisciplinary expertise in economics, climate, policy, land-use, fisheries and poverty alleviation is seeking a Projects and Operations Coordinator to support a new collaborative program, the Environmental Market Solutions Lab or emLab (http://emlab.msi.ucsb.edu/) focused on developing market-based solutions for efficient and equitable environmental outcomes. emLab builds on the success of the Sustainable Fisheries Group (http://sfg.msi.ucsb.edu/) to tackle challenges related to climate change, land-use, and poverty alleviation through the four research groups it now comprises: the Sustainable Fisheries Group, the Climate Solutions Group, the Productive Landscapes Group, and the Poverty Alleviation Group.
The Projects and Operations Coordinator will work closely with emLab’s Executive Director, Operations and Communications Manager, Principal Investigators, and project researchers to provide administrative, communications and project coordination support to a team working on domestic and international projects. Approximately 75% of the Coordinator’s time will be focused on providing administrative, operational and communications support to the Environmental Market Solutions Lab program and the other 25% will be focused on assisting in the management and execution of specific research projects. We are looking for a detail-oriented, team player with the ability and willingness to juggle a broad spectrum of responsibilities to fill this dynamic role.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Schedule and coordinate emLab team meetings, travel, workshops and events, including developing agendas, sending event invitations, handling reimbursements and coordinating meeting logistics and catering;
● Support fundraising efforts and projects including developing reports and presentations, taking clear and detailed meeting notes, tracking project deliverables and following up on next steps from meetings and workshops;
● Coordinate recruitment, hiring and appointments for staff, post-doctoral scholars and interns, scheduling interviews, organizing application materials, and developing appointment materials;
● Support visiting scholars and faculty, including drafting letters of invitation, hosting visitors, processing visa applications, booking travel and other logistics as requested by Principal Investigators;
● Manage social media content, coordinate blog content and emails, develop new content for emLab website and produce written content for other media outlets to communicate emLab’s research and analysis to diverse audiences;
● Work with University personnel and the emLab team to process paperwork to establish or revise grants, cooperative agreements, contracts and other partnership materials;
● Broadly lend support to emLab research activities where needed and tackle special projects where appropriate.
● A Bachelor’s degree in biology, economics, environmental science or a related field at the time of application
● At least 1-3 years of administrative support or project coordination experience and a proven track record of excellence in administrative and logistical support
● Master’s degree in biology, economics, environmental science or a related field at the time of application
● Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational and time management skills;
● Experience coordinating meetings and events;
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills including experience writing to diverse audiences and developing visually compelling presentations and project materials;
● Excellent computer skills, such as fluency in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs, Gmail and Google Calendar
● Demonstrated success in the handling of a diverse portfolio with speed, accuracy and courtesy;
● Demonstrated success in exhibiting exceptional levels of insightful planning;
● Demonstrated success in efficiently and accurately analyzing problems, gathering relevant information, proposing and implementing practical solutions with varying levels of input from senior staff;
● Experience working with interdisciplinary teams and adapting to support multiple work styles;
● Experience supporting fundraising efforts, including writing and formatting proposals, reports to funders and other written materials;
● Experience and interest in using social media (e.g., Instagram and Twitter) for communicating research or other content to the general public;
● Experience using project management or collaboration platforms such as Slack, Asana, Basecamp, etc.;
● Experience tracking milestones and deliverables to keep projects on track;
● Experience developing systems and processes to increase organizational efficiency;
● Strong work ethic—highly motivated to go above and beyond a job description to support the team as needed, including a willingness to take on any task or to take the initiative to develop a deeper understanding policies or protocol in areas that will clearly benefit emLab’s operations and research.
Salary and Benefits: Academic Coordinator I with salary step commensurate with qualifications. 100% time appointment for one year from start date, with strong possibility for additional year(s) of employment contingent upon performance and funding. Start date is negotiable, but ideally would be no later than January 7, 2019. Full benefits package included.
Please submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for 2-3 references online at:
For primary consideration apply by December 3, 2018
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service as appropriate to this position.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 2-3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information