Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The mission of the California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI) is to create the collaborative, closely-integrated and strongly interactive environment that will foster innovation in nanosystems research and education. The NanoStructures Cleanroom Facility (NCF) is a key element in the achievement of that mission. The NCF houses tool sets and processes that complement research across campus, enabling unique capabilities in the pursuit of controlling and manipulating materials at the nanoscale. The equipment set includes contact and direct-write lithography, vacuum deposition of metals and dielectrics, including diamond CVD and ECR deposition of oxides, a furnace suite for materials synthesis, and a confocoal microscopy and spectroscopy facility. The NCF also provides photolithography mask writing services for campus researchers.
The NCF Lab Manager is the primary interface between the laboratory and the campus research community, the lab users and CNSI leadership.
Initial appointment term of one year with the possibility of reappointment on an annual basis. Anticipated start date February 2019.
Salary is dependent on experience, qualifications, and hiring level. The UCSB salary scales may be found at: https://ap.ucsb.edu/compensation.and.benefits/ucsb.salary.scales/
The lab manager is responsible for all aspects of the lab including:
- Building and maintaining relationships with campus and industrial partners in order to expand the NCF’s user base.
- Providing assistance to faculty developing research proposals that will benefit the NCF.
- Working as an active consultant and collaborator with researchers using the NCF
- Actively defining the capabilities of the NCF in collaboration with CNSI leadership
- Communicating the NCF’s capabilities to the research community and maintaining the NCF’s website content
- Collaborating with other research facilities within CNSI/UCSB to provide state-of-the-art capabilities at the interfaces of engineering, materials, physics, and biology
- Developing UC-systemwide partnerships with other recharge facilities
- Hosting vendor-sponsored user workshops demonstrating new techniques and tools
- As required, attending conferences and trade shows to stay abreast of scientific and equipment advances in the field
- Developing and overseeing a recharge policy that ensures the long-term viability of the NCF.
- Tracking usage data and providing the financial administrators information required for monthly recharge billing
- Purchasing, installing, and maintaining the NCF instruments
- Managing NCF staff
- Developing a training program for users on the proper use of the equipment
- Ensuring that the NCF is a safe and productive workplace
- Representing NCF and CNSI at meetings with users, vendors, suppliers, Environmental Health and Safety and Facilities Management.
- Maintaining laboratory supply inventory
- The lab manager will be expected to collaborate with research groups in hopes that scientific publications will be enabled by the facility and the manager which will result in citing CNSI.
Appointees to the Specialist series engage in specialized research, professional activity, and University and/or public service. Specialists use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions to the research enterprise of the University and to achieve recognition in the professional and scientific community. Specialists may participate in University and/or public service depending upon funding source and duties of the position.
Additional Information related to levels (Specialist series ranks)
• Associate Specialists normally provide considerable independent input into the planning and execution of the research, have a record of academic accomplishments, including contributions to published research in the field, and a demonstrated record of University and/or public service.
• [Full] Specialists normally provide considerable independent input into the planning and execution of the research, have a significant record of academic accomplishments, including contributions to published research in the field, and a demonstrated record of University and/or public service.
- Master's degree (or equivalent degree) in Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics or a related field, or have five to ten years of experience demonstrating expertise in the relevant specialization.
- Previous experience managing a laboratory would be an advantage
- Prior experience training and mentoring students and researchers in a laboratory setting.
- Strong hands-on laboratory skills, including cleanroom-based semiconductor processing, materials synthesis, and materials characterization
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proficient knowledge of computers and software
- Works well independently with general supervision
Apply by January 24th, 2019 at https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/apply/JPF01450 for primary consideration.
To apply, please submit:
Three references (contact information only).
If not submitted at time of application, publications may be requested at a later date.
The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information