Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Master’s of Environmental Data Science (MEDS) is an exciting new degree-granting program to be launched in the coming year, offered in partnership between the Bren School of Environmental Science & Management and the National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) at UC, Santa Barbara. We seek an Environmental Data Science Coordinator to help manage the logistical and administrative tasks required to welcome the MEDS program’s first cohort in August 2020.
Additionally, in Fall 2020 NCEAS will host two large workshops (or “summits”) that will each convene (physically and virtually) a diverse community of scientists and researchers. The Environmental Data Science Global Summit will help launch MEDS and will be an opportunity for participants to explore trends and challenges in the field of environmental data science. The Future of Environmental Synthesis Summit will explore future directions and opportunities for synthesis in ecology and environmental science. This summit will create space for expansive and convergent discourse via charrette-style breakout sessions, and ideas discussed will be synthesized into a manuscript for publication following the summit.
The Environmental Data Science Coordinator will support Bren and NCEAS staff as they prepare for launch of the MEDS program and the range of activities needed to prepare and execute the above summits, including:
● Help NCEAS and Bren manage a variety of logistical and administrative tasks to launch the MEDS program
● Support creation of detailed summit agendas and activity plans, in partnership with the NCEAS Director and Deputy Director
● Work with and support NCEAS staff on a range of administrative tasks, including scheduling and organizing steering committee meetings, distributing summit invitations, organizing travel and lodging information, and confirming event participant lists
● Liaise with prospective event contractors and confirm partnerships with them, including for venue, hotel, caterer, and other rentals
● Create binding agreements with contractors and manage related payments/transactions
● Other related duties as assigned
The Environmental Data Science Coordinator position is a one-year appointment. Anticipated start date October 2019.
● Master’s degree in ecology, environmental science, data science, geography or related fields
● At least 1 year of project management experience
● Familiarity with environmental science & data science
● Event planning experience
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Passion to support the scientific research community
Salary and Benefits: Academic Coordinator I position, 100% time, with salary step commensurate with qualifications. Full benefits package.
To apply: submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to
For primary consideration apply by August 26, 2019.
Position will remain open until filled.
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)