Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Environmental Market Solutions Lab (emLab) (http://emlab.msi.ucsb.edu/) is an interdisciplinary team of economists and natural scientists based at UC Santa Barbara dedicated to bringing market-based solutions to the world's most pressing environmental problems. We deliver cutting-edge research and innovative policy solutions by combining economic principles, ecological insights, and big-data analytics. emLab seeks a postdoctoral researcher in environmental and resource economics to contribute to the vibrant intellectual atmosphere at UCSB, which houses faculty, postdocs, students, and professional research staff. Among other contributions, the postdoc will be expected to contribute to a current project evaluating the extent to which new technologies can have conservation impacts, with an application to global food systems. In particular, emLab researchers are examining whether innovations in cell-based seafood can transform supply and demand of food from the sea, and the role they may play in ocean conservation outcomes.
The ideal candidate will have a PhD in environmental or resource economics with excellent empirical and structural modeling skills, and may also have an interest in food systems and conservation. The scholar will work closely with and report to Christopher Costello, Andrew Plantinga, and Olivier Deschenes, and will have the opportunity to collaborate with other emLab principals. The successful candidate will have flexibility to contribute to various dimensions of the food systems project, and can also allocate a fraction of their time to their own research.
• Applicants must have completed all requirements for a PhD (or equivalent) except the dissertation in Environmental Economics, Natural Resource Economics, Energy Economics or a closely related discipline at the time of application.
• PhD in Environmental Economics, Natural Resource Economics, Energy Economics or a closely related discipline by the time of appointment
• A minimum of 3 years of academic or applied research experience in empirical economic methods and/or structural modeling
• Experience modeling economic or natural resource systems
• Excellent quantitative and modeling skills including advanced modeling experience in R, Stata, and/or Matlab
• Extensive experience with managing, processing, and analyzing large datasets
• An interest and track record in publishing in top academic journals
• Proficiency using Git, and other modern data management, sharing and presentation interfaces
• Familiarity with high-performance server computing such as Google Compute Engine or AWS
• Ability to balance a diverse portfolio of responsibilities simultaneously
• Excellent communication skills to contribute to reports and peer-reviewed scientific publications, deliver presentations, and translate scientific concepts for diverse audiences
• Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain strong relationships with academic, NGO and government partners, and to work effectively as part of a highly collaborative research team
The duration of the initial appointment is 12 months; reappointment for an additional year(s) is possible depending on performance and funding. Start date is no later than July 31, 2020. Salary is competitive, commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications. Postdoctoral benefits are included (https://ap.ucsb.edu/resources.for.department.analysts/postdoctoral.scholar.appointments/).
To Apply: For primary consideration apply by December 15, 2019.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references online at:
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)