Open date: August 10th, 2020
Last review date: Tuesday, Sep 8, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Dec 31, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
We are seeking a talented specialist to provide analytical research support for multiple interdisciplinary projects focused on the economic and social consequences of climate change. These projects leverage large physical and social science datasets with computational, statistical, and economic tools to quantify the diverse impacts of climate change across the globe.
This Specialist will work in close partnership with members of the Climate Impact Lab, a team of economists, climate scientists, data engineers, and risk analysts developing an evidence-based, data-driven approach to quantifying the impacts of climate change sector-by-sector, community-by-community around the world. Research outputs will be used in academic publications, but also to enable decision-makers in the public and private sectors to understand the risks climate change presents, and to alleviate those risks through improved investment and public policy.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, all phases of the empirical research process, from data collection to rigorous econometric analyses leading to publishable studies and public communications. The Specialist will collaborate closely with UCSB faculty and will be a team member of the Environmental Market Solutions Lab (emLab). emLab is an interdisciplinary team of economists and natural scientists based at UC Santa Barbara dedicated to bringing market-based solutions to the world's most pressing environmental problems.
• Conducting statistical data analysis and modification of existing code
• Cleaning and analyzing data and programming
• Writing, proofreading and fact-checking academic papers, reports and presentations
• Conducting and writing literature reviews
• Generating tables and graphs for academic papers, reports and presentations
• Bachelor’s degree in economics, data science, statistics, climate change, environmental science and management, environmental economics, climate and energy policy, or a related field at the time of application
• Consideration will be made for employment at an Assistant level with 5 years of professional experience providing analytical research support to projects related to economics, climate, environmental economics, or a related field at time of appointment OR a Master’s degree in economics, data science, statistics, climate change, environmental science and management, environmental economics, climate and energy policy, or a related field at the time of appointment
• Consideration will be made for employment at an Associate level with 5-10 years of professional experience providing analytical research support to projects related to economics, climate, environmental economics, or a related field at time of appointment OR a Master’s degree in economics, data science, statistics, climate change, environmental science and management, environmental economics, climate and energy policy, or a related field at the time of appointment.
• Excellent quantitative and statistical skills including experience collecting, processing, and analyzing climate, health, energy, labor market, and/or economic data
• Ability to review and synthesize large amounts of literature and disparate data sources
• Proficiency with R, Python, and/or Stata and experience working with GitHub
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to take initiative and work independently, and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational and time management skills
• Excellent computer skills including fluency in the Microsoft and Google suites
This is a Junior, Assistant or Associate Specialist position, with salary step commensurate with qualifications. This is a 100% time appointment for 1 year from the start date, with the possibility for additional year(s) of employment contingent upon performance and funding. Start date is negotiable, but ideally would be no later than October 31, 2020. Full benefits package included.
For primary consideration apply by September 8, 2020. Position remains open until filled.
Please submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references online at: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF01824
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)