The National Science Foundation's Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) program was established in 1980 to study ecological processes operating on decadal-to-century time scales. The program now includes a network of 28 diverse research programs and engages over 2000 researchers from multiple disciplines. Drawing on sustained observation, experiments and modeling, LTER research creates new knowledge about how ecosystems function and informs many aspects of resource management. The Long-Term Ecological Research Network Communications Office (LTER-NCO) is located at UCSB's National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) and serves as a central information hub and supports cross-site collaboration activities for the LTER Network.
Job Description: The Communications Coordinator helps to maintain fluid communication within the LTER Network and to raise awareness of the mission and accomplishments of the Network in the scientific community. The Communications Coordinator identifies story ideas based on publications and conversations with researchers at LTER sites and produces a variety of written, graphical and digital materials to make LTER Network science accessible and relevant for scientific partners, stakeholders, and policymakers.
The LTER Communications Coordinator assists with program and logistics for several LTER events each year, including the annual Network Symposium at the National Science Foundation, the annual Science Council Meeting, and the 2018 LTER All-Scientists’ Meeting. Other related duties may be assigned.
● Interview researchers and review scientific publications to identify relevant stories
● Write and edit stories in a style that is lively, accessible, and scientifically accurate
● Find or develop accompanying graphics and visuals
● Update website and social media channels
● Design newsletters and brochures
● Support meeting logistics
● Maintain mailing lists
● Track media coverage and uptake
Minimum Qualifications: Successful candidates will have graduated with a Bachelor's degree with a major in science journalism, communications, ecology or environmental science, and have professional writing ability demonstrated by at least one year of professional writing experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
● Strong writing skills, as demonstrated by writing samples
● Experience with web content management systems and social media
● Ability to read scientific papers and recognize their significance
● Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
Salary and Benefits:
Academic Coordinator Position, with salary step commensurate with qualifications. Full benefits package included.
Expected Start Date:
Fall Quarter 2017
How to Apply:
Please apply through UC Recruit:
Required Documents to Apply
● Curriculum Vitae: Your most recently updated C.V.
● Cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position
● Writing sample (< 1000 words). Please include a sample of an article, web post, or brochure copy you have written on a scientific subject for a non-scientific audience. Please indicate whether (and to what extent) it has been edited by others. If additional writing or graphic products are available by web link, please include.
● List of References: 3 non-peer references (name and contact information only at this point)
The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Writing Sample - A sample of an article, web post, or brochure copy you have written on a scientific subject for a non-scientific audience.
- 3 references required (contact information only)