Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Music, University of California, Santa Barbara seeks nominations and applications for the Corwin Endowed Chair of Music Composition (tenured Associate Professor or Full Professor of Composition), with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2019. We seek a composer of international stature who will be an effective educator and play a leadership role in our undergraduate and graduate composition programs, as well as in fostering and promoting post-graduate research. Of particular interest are candidates with interdisciplinary interests in the arts, humanities, sciences, or engineering, who will thrive in a department with strengths in traditional composition, electro-acoustic and computer music, performance, musicology, ethnomusicology, and music theory. The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, professional activity, and service.
The Department offers the B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in musicology, ethnomusicology, theory, and composition, and the B.M., M.M., and D.M.A. degrees in performance. As a faculty known for its interdisciplinary culture, we encourage applicants whose scholarship and teaching can engage students across sub-disciplines in music, as well as across our campus. In particular, the Corwin Chair helps to coordinate the Music Department's composition program with the teaching of composition in the Media Arts and Technology Program, and in the College of Creative Studies. It is anticipated that the Corwin Chair will enrich the UCSB community by recruiting graduate students, and by bringing distinguished guest artists and researchers for performances, lectures, and short residencies.
Applicants must meet the following basic qualifications:
• Ph.D., DMA or equivalent degree in composition, or equivalent professional experience, required at time of application
• A significant record of publications (written and recorded) and performances in national and international venues
• Demonstrated experience in the field of interdisciplinary creative projects
• At least two years of experience in teaching or mentoring is desired. This can be regular university teaching and mentoring at the graduate and undergraduate level, or studio teaching or industry mentoring.
To receive full consideration for this position, all application materials should be received by December 13, 2018. Ideally, letters of reference should be received by this date as well.
Candidates should submit the following:
• Cover Letter
• Updated Curriculum Vitae
• Scores & recordings of five recent works for diverse instruments (PDF file with embedded links to videos)
• Arrange to have three letters of reference submitted
• Teaching evaluations - optional
• Website - optional
• Statement of contributions to diversity - optional
How to Apply:
• Go to: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/apply/JPF01338
• Create applicant ID (username and password)
• Provide required information and documents to complete application
Information about our department and faculty can be found on our website: http://www.music.ucsb.edu.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V. PDF format only
Cover Letter - PDF format only
Scores & recordings of five recent works for diverse instruments - Submit scores as a PDF file with embedded links to recordings
Teaching evaluations - If available
Website - Please upload a PDF of your website url, if available.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, professional activity, and/or service.
- 3-4 letters of reference required
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information